Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Great Opening!

Dear Reader,
The opening went really well, and four pieces are now sold! I want to do some more Shorelines, to add to the series, because #5 was one of the sales, and I do like this subject. This is what #5 looks like.

Clear Waters is also sold. Interesting that it's another water picture. Maybe something to do with the fact that my astrological sign is Cancer - one of the water signs.


Well, on to the next show! I have decided to enter Local Colour, the Grand National Quilt Show at Joseph Schneider Haus in Kitchener. Even though the piece I think is most appropriate to the theme isn't actually a quilt, it does have quilting elements. This is a picture of me with it, so you can see how big it is.


This piece is also in my show Affairs of the Heart. In fact it is the one that was inspired by Marjan Mozetich's violin concerto of the same name. I decided to call this piece "Hills of Wellington County."

About three weeks ago I was invited to put a piece into "Minerals", a show that will be at the Metro Convention Centre in Toronto, during a show for mining prospectors in March. The other thing I love, in addition to water, is rock! And a favourite is sodalite. I love the clear ultramarine blue, and the crazy white veins of calcite. So I made this piece. 

If you look closely, you can see the embroidered outline of the prospector. And there is a piece of real sodalite in the man's back pocket.

Well, I am off to Tanzania, leaving for the airport later today. This is one of those "once in a lifetime" trips. I am lucky that I can go with my husband to Dar es Salaam, where he has meetings to attend. But before that we are going to Zanzibar! It is the Z on my alphabet list (I don't have a "bucket" list, since I don't intend to check out when I've been everywhere on my list!) And after the meetings, we are going camping in the Serengeti - I hope I see lots of big cats. Maybe my next show will be called "Out of Africa."  Hmm!

Bye for now!







No comments: